Surface preparation and protective coating (Edition 6, February 2012)
This NORSOK standard gives the requirements for the selection of coating materials, surface preparation, application procedures and inspection for protective coatings to be applied during the construction and installation of offshore installations and associated facilities.
This NORSOK standard cover paints, metallic coatings and application of spray-on passive fire protective coatings.
The aim of this NORSOK standard is to obtain a coating system, which ensures
- optimal protection of the installation with a minimum need for maintenance
- that the coating system is maintenance friendly
- that the coating system is application friendly
- that health, safety and environmental impacts are evaluated and documented.
This NORSOK standard is not applicable to pipelines and pipeline risers.
The main changes included in this edition are that
- the content of a paint report and an example of such is included
- additional requirements for surface protection of valves actuators, gearboxes, pumps and motors are implemented
- requirements for reinforcement and anchoring of sprayed fire protecting with fibre mesh are given
- requirements for subsea coatings at higher temperature than 50 °C is given
- IMO MSC215(82) classification testing has been accepted as an alternative qualification method for ballast water tank coatings (coating system no. 3B)
- more detailed specification of what to include in the coating procedure specification is given
- a time limit for the validity of the coating procedure test is specified
- coating system numbering is made more detailed for system no. 6 and system no. 7
- polyester based powder coating is included as an alternative on top of hot dipped galvanized steel and aluminium based structures
- coating system for subsea is split into three categories.
Additional files: Frequently Asked Questions (updated by 2015-02-18), Task Force - review of the performance in the use of polysiloxane top coats
Additional requirements: ConocoPhillips