NORSOK M-501 published for public enquiry
NORSOK M-501 Surface preparation and protective coating, edition 7, is now published for public enquiry until December 1st.
NORSOK M-501 was last published in 2012 and is currently under revision. The standard specifies the requirements for the selection of coating materials, surface preparation, application procedures and inspection for protective coatings to be applied during the construction and installation of offshore and coastal facilities and gives guidelines with respect to later maintenance work. Please find the enquiry draft prNORSOK M-501 in our enquiry system.
NORSOK M-501 is revised by the expert group SN/K 114 NORSOK EG M Materials.
The main changes from ed. 6 are an update of the technical content based on experience, new requirements and new international standards:
- Advises coatings systems that can meet the high durability range as per ISO 12944-1
- Defines the corrosivity categories accounted for as per ISO 12944-2
- Includes pre-qualification requirements for coating under insulation and for tank linings
- Clarifies the qualification requirements for paint shops and operators
- Clarifies the inspection and testing requirements that apply before, during and after coating application
- Captures improvements from IOGP doc S-715
- Introduces new coating systems to cover cryogenic conditions, high temperature service, powder coating and passive fire protection (PFP) in splash zone
New sections are implemented to cover:
- Coating repairs
- Quality management and performance assurance
- Coating selection tables
New normative annexes are implemented to cover:
- Water uptake for PFP
- Immersion freeze dry testing for PFP
- Fire testing for PFP
- Adhesion/cohesion test
Implemented new informative annexes to cover:
- Test panel for Coating Procedure Tests (CPT)
- Coating operator qualification test
- Overlapping zones
- Maintenance coating
New separate CSDS
A separate coating system data sheet (CSDS) for each coating system and substrate is developed. This includes new systems related to:
- Buried in soil PFP in splash zone
- Cryogenic service
- High temperature service
- Powder coating
The activities in table 1 (re pre-qualifition of systems) and 2 (Inspection and testing requirements) are numbered for easy cross reference in each CSDS.
Each CSDS outlines the relevant operational conditions, applicable substrate material quality, surface preparation requirements, generic coating system build up and the required adhesion testing. In addition, it gives cross references to any pre-qualification requirements and to all test and inspection activities to be carried out.
Comments and questions
All comments must be entered in the official enquiry portal.
Deadline: December 1st 2021.
Please note that all users must be registered in the enquiry portal before comments can be entered. If you use the portal from abroad, please register as a student, using post code 0283.
For further detail please contact project manager in Standards Norway, Espen Holm.