Electrical systems (Edition 2016)
This NORSOK standard contains provisions for electrical installations at voltages up to and including 35 kV AC and 1 500 V DC to provide safety in the design of electrical systems, selection, and use of electrical equipment for generation, storage, distribution and utilization of electrical energy for all purposes in offshore units which are being used for the purpose of exploration or exploitation of petroleum resources.
The standard is applicable for the voltages stated above, even if a different voltage limit may be given in some of the parts in the IEC 61892 series of standards. It is expected that the voltage levels in the IEC 61892 series of standards will be corrected as part of the maintenance cycle of this IEC standard.
The major revisions in this edition of E-001 compared to Edition 5 of July 2007 include:
- Updates to reflect the latest edition of PSA, i.e.: 4.1 General: new text included.
- Updates to reflect current edition of IEC 61892.
- Updated to include new experience from the industry.
- New 4.2 Living quarter.
- New 5.2.2 Essential source of power.
- New text in 5.4 AC distribution systems: “33 kV, 3-phase Main distribution voltage to be considered only if fault levels using 11 kV becomes too high”.
- New 5.6.3 Arc flash protection.
- All electrical data sheets (EDS) in Annex A have been reviewed and revised when appropriate i.e.; EDS-006 Convertors, EDS-009 Transformers ASDS, EDS‑001 UPS data sheets.
- New EDS-013 Electric process heater has been included.
- Two figures from Edition 2007 were removed.
- Annex B from Edition 2007 was removed.
The Excel files of the thirteen EDS can be downloaded here:
(All EDS documents are dated 2016-05-31 except EDS 001 which is dated 2016-09-26.)