Technical safety (2020)
In this edition, several “should” have been corrected to “shall “. Some editorial corrections have also been made. The corrections from recommendation to requirement was approved in October 2020 and the document was published in November.
This NORSOK standard describes the principles and requirements for the development of the physical safety design, i.e. technical safety, of offshore installations for production of oil and gas. Where applicable, this NORSOK standard may also be used for mobile offshore drilling units. The structure of this document makes it easier to fulfil technical safety requirements.
This NORSOK standard, together with ISO 13702, defines the required standard to establish and maintain an adequate level of safety for personnel, environment, and material assets.
This NORSOK standard is organised according to principles given in Clause 5. Each following clause describes requirements for the individual safety barriers/systems and represents a generic performance standard for the different safety barriers. The following elements have been addressed for each safety barrier/system:
- Role gives a short description of the main safety roles of the specific safety systems and barriers.
- Interfaces lists typical interfaces with other safety systems and barriers.
- Required utilities describes typical utilities required for the safety system and barriers to fulfil its role.
- Functional requirements specify the performance required for the safety system and barriers to fulfil its role.
- Survivability requirements defines requirements for the safety systems and barriers to function in or after a design accidental event.
The standard also contains informative safety equipment datasheets, formerly part of NORSOK S-011, which can be downloaded from Annex C. A fire protection datasheet is available in Annex B. (See files for downloading below.)
Comments to the document can be given in our comments form.
Additional requirements: ConocoPhillips
Files for downloading