1.1 This document deals with safety requirements for construction, manufacturing, installation, maintenance and dismantling of electrically operated stairlifts (chair, standing platform and wheelchair platform) affixed to a building structure, moving in an inclined plane and intended for use by persons with impaired mobility:
- travelling over a stair or an accessible inclined surface;
- intended for use by one person;
- whose carriage is directly retained and guided by a guide rail or rails;
- supported or sustained by rope (5.4.4), rack and pinion (5.4.5), chain (5.4.6), friction traction drive (5.4.7), and guided rope and ball (5.4.8).
1.2 This document identifies hazards as listed in Clause 4 which arise during the various phases in the life of such equipment and describes methods for the elimination or reduction of these hazards when used as intended by the manufacturer.
1.3 This document does not specify the additional requirements for:
- operation in severe conditions (e.g. extreme climates, strong magnetic fields);
- operation subject to special rules (e.g. potentially explosive atmospheres);
- handling of materials, the nature of which could lead to dangerous situations;
- use of energy systems other than electricity;
- hazards occurring during manufacture;
- earthquakes, flooding, fire;
- evacuation during a fire;
- stairlifts for goods only;
- concrete, hardcore, timber or other foundation or building arrangement;
- design of anchorage bolts to the supporting structure.
NOTE For the actual type of machinery, noise is not considered a significant nor relevant hazard.
1.4 This document is not applicable to power operated stairlifts which are manufactured before the date of publication of this document by CEN.