This NORSOK standard describes the principles and requirements for the development of the safety design of offshore installations for production of oil and gas. Where applicable, this NORSOK standard may also be used for mobile offshore drilling units.
This standard, together with ISO 13702, also defines the required standard for implementation of technologies and emergency preparedness to establish and maintain an adequate level of safety for personnel, environment and material assets.
The principles for how the standard is organised is described in clause 4. Each clause of the standard describes requirements for the individual safety barriers/-systems, and represents a generic performance standard for the different safety barriers. The following elements have been addressed for each safety barrier/-system:
- role gives a short description of the safety aspects related to the specific safety systems and barriers;
- interfaces lists the interface with other safety systems and barriers;
- required utilities describes utilities required for the safety system and barriers to fulfil its role;
- functional requirements specifies the performance required for the safety system and barriers to fulfil its role;
- survivability requirements defines requirements for the safety systems and barriers to function in or after a dimensioning accidental event.
Additional requirements: ConocoPhillips