This European Standard defines design principles for card based services that are applicable to any sector (eg banking, telecommunications, mass transport, parking, logical access control, physical access control). It also provides recommendations for the operational procedures to be followed when users interact with a card operated device :
- in order to enter a system;
- whilst using a system;
- leaving a system.
The purpose of this European Standard is to facilitate user's interactions with card operated systems by
standardising key components of the user interface.
In principle all devices should be physically accessible to all users including those with special needs. How this can be achieved is not within the scope of this standard.
In particular, this European Standard will :
- aid the user's interaction with the system through a consistent user interface when entering, navigating and
exiting card-based systems ;
- promote user confidence in card-based systems in general ;
- promote efficient use of card-based systems ;
- reduce the possibility of error when the user enters, navigates in or exits the system ;
- enable those with different levels of ability and comprehension (minors, elderly, visually impaired, foreign
language, etc) and different levels of experience (eg first time users) to use card-based systems;
- improve the learnability of card-based systems through consistency.