This European Standard specifies safety requirements for the following non-fixed load lifting attachments for cranes, hoists and manually controlled load manipulating devices:
- plate clamps;
- vacuum lifters;
- self priming,
- non-self priming (pump, venturi, turbine);
- electric lifting magnets (battery fed and mains-fed);
- permanent lifting magnets;
- electro-permanent lifting magnets;
- lifting beams;
- lifting forks;
defined in clause 3.
This standard does not specify the additional requirements for:
- non fixed load lifting attachments in direct contact with foodstuffs or pharmaceuticals requiring a high level of cleanliness for hygiene reasons;
- hazards resulting from handling specific hazardous materials (e.g. explosives, hot molten masses, radiating materials);
- hazards caused by operation in an explosive atmosphere;
- hazards caused by noise;
- electrical hazards;
- hazards due to hydraulic and pneumatic components.
This standard does not cover the hazards related to mechanical strength of structural elements of attachments designed for more than 20 000 lifting cycles.
NOTE The coefficient of utilization specified in clause 5.1.1 ensures that no fatigue verification is needed for less than 20 000 cycles. This is in accordance with the well accepted calculation codes e.g. FEM 1001.
This standard does not cover attachments intended to lift above people.
This standard does not cover slings, ladles, expanding mandrels, buckets, grabs, or grab buckets.
The hazards covered by this European Standard are identified in clause 4.
This European Standard does not cover hazards related to the lifting of persons.
This European Standard is applicable to non-fixed load lifting attachments which are manufactured after the date of approval by CEN of this standard.